23 Witty Grammar Jokes & Puns to Satisfy Your Inner Grammar Nerd
Have you ever cringed at a “Got Milk?” ad? Feel a strange sense of pride when you find a typo in a reputable book? Did you secretly (or not-so-secretly) love making syntax trees in school?
Then you might just love these grammar jokes as much as we do. Here are a few of our favorites — share yours with us in the comment section!
(Note: A few of them could be considered inappropriate in some work environments … )
Download our free writing style guide to learn how to eliminate grammar mistakes from your writing.
23 Humorous Grammar Jokes & Puns
1. The streets were oddly desserted that night.
2. The Case of the High Apostrophe Intelligence
— Grammarly (@Grammarly) November 29, 2014
3. The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar.
4. I’ll never date another apostrophe.
5. Correct grammar makes me sound dry.
6. 10 Items or Fewer
Image from Bakersfield College Writing Center
7. Knowing Your Sh*t vs. Knowing You’re Sh*T
8. Squids, Not Squad
9. The door is alarmed.
“This door is alarmed!” #funny pic.twitter.com/LqP9gJVhos
— Grammarly (@Grammarly) December 7, 2014
10. A Tense Situation
11. Name two pronouns.
12. Stop clubbing.
13. We better just stop right now.
14. What do you call Santa’s elves?
15. Let’s eat Grandma!
16. When English Majors Marry
17. When Grammarians Grill
18. Eye Before Flea
19. Blade named Sting
20. Dork is the preferred nomenclature.
21. To Funny
22. That’s a classy owl.
23. Ancient Grammar Police
Want to learn more about grammar mistakes? Check out 20 of the Worst Typos, Grammatical Errors & Spelling Mistakes We’ve Ever Seen.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2014 and was updated in November 2019 for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
Originally published Nov 21, 2019 5:36:00 PM, updated November 21 2019